Springfield College Office of YMCA Relations YMCA Professional Studies Benefits
The YMCA Professional Studies Program prepares students who are interested in pursuing a career in the YMCA and encompasses an integrated approach of including academics, co-curricular learning, career development, and hands-on employment/internship involvement with YMCAs. Students graduate with a full understanding of the mission-driven goals and purposes of a YMCA, along with the skills of negotiating the administrative and business complexities of running a nonprofit organization. YMCA Professional Studies students have a definite advantage over non-YMCA candidates when it comes to career choices, understanding and fitting into the YMCA culture, and having access to a faster career track. The following benefits apply to YMCA Professional Studies students who declare a YMCA minor, join the campus YMCA Club, and who qualify for financial aid based on need.
- Access to up to $5,000 per year from the YMCA Matching Scholarship Fund for a potential total of $10,000 annual scholarship (partnering scholarship with your sponsoring YMCA)
- A stronger college financial aid package available for those who qualify
- Limited annual travel stipend for students who live long distances from Springfield College as specified by the Admissions Office
- Free annual membership to the Association of YMCA Professionals (AYP), the professional organization for YMCA career employees. Students have access to all AYP trainings and conference opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities for attending local, regional, and national training events and conferences, as well as educational YMCA Office-sponsored trips
- Students are prepared for a career in the nonprofit world with a degree in the major of their choice and the YMCA professional studies minor
- YMCA module credit resulting in YMCA Professional Director Certification upon graduation
- YMCA Relations Office provides guidance, support, and direction through campus life, as well as access to the YMCA profession
- YMCA job placement assistance and access to the national YMCA vacancy list
- 2,700 YMCAs nationwide from whom to consider for jobs
- YMCA internship opportunities for practical experience and networking opportunities in the U.S.
- Attendance at many of the regional and national YMCA and AYP conferences and training events
- Job training skills, interviewing skills, and resume development
- Exposure to national and international career opportunities and introduction to top YMCA leaders
- Involvement in the campus YMCA Club as a means of interacting and meeting other students with similar values and life goals
- Experiential opportunities teaching the importance of volunteering and serving society
- Leadership development opportunities through community service
- Travel opportunities across the U.S. through the campus YMCA Club
Springfield College and the YMCARead how the past, present, and future of Springfield College and the YMCA are entwined in the October 2009 issue of Perspective, the Journal of the Association of YMCA Professionals.
Springfield College Dedicates Stitzer YMCA CenterSpringfield College dedicated the Stitzer YMCA Center before an audience of YMCA leaders from around the world. Read the full story.
Harry Rock, Director
- Phone: 413.748.3914
- E-mail: email@example.com
On behalf of the YMCA office staff, welcome to Springfield College! It is our desire and privilege to help support your time at Springfield College as part of the YMCA Professional Studies Program. Let us help open the doors of opportunity to the exciting and meaningful world of the YMCA. Read more.