Class of 1973
Class of 1973 Reunion Video
Photos From the Class of 1973
Dear ’73 Classmate,
March 28, 2013
Our 40th Reunion will be held on June 6-9, 2013!
If you can’t make the entire weekend, simply come to part of it---whatever your schedule permits. If you cannot attend at all, send a note to Russ Smith at; email@example.com .
You’ll be amazed and very pleased when you see all the physical changes that have transformed our alma mater and made campus even more beautiful and functional than it was when we attended SC.
At last count, over 45 of our classmates were attending or thinking of attending some part of the weekend. Please check out the Alumni Relations Reunion web page for more information. Go to www.springfieldcollege.edu , then click “Alumni.”
Participation in the Springfield College Fund (formerly the Annual Fund) – your gift of any amount helps us increase our participation rate and that makes a BIG difference!
By now, you should have gotten the video that the committee put together, which just goes to show to what lengths we are willing to go to invite everyone back to campus.
The Friday Golf Outing is looking to be a major event and a nice way to get some fresh air and visit with old friends (it is being arranged by our classmate Donna Shaw and her husband Don ‘69); Campus Tours, Casino Royale, Beer and Wine Tastings, our Class Dinner Saturday night in Cheney Hall (with a LIVE band following) and the Celebration of Loyalty (our class photo, the parade of classes and our SC Fund check presentation) and numerous other Reunion activities are all just around the corner!
Class Dues - $19.73 – Class dues are also being collected to build up the Class of 1973 treasury to help purchase Reunion souvenirs and fund other Reunion costs. Please note this is above and beyond your Springfield College Fund gift and is not tax deductible. Please make your dues check payable to Springfield College, note “’73 Class Dues” on the check and forward it to the Office of Alumni Relations, Springfield College – 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109.
Bruce Miller is gathering items for the Silent Auction. You may contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org to donate or for more information.
Denise Alleyne is still collecting pictures and may be reached through her Facebook page. Check it out.
Please bring a picture of yourself from your college years to go with your name tag. The size should be approximately 2 inches x 2 inches so it can fit into the name tag sleeve (we will provide the lanyard and name tag sleeve).
The Committee will be doing a formal Phone-a-thon on April 10 and we look forward to hearing from you in the meantime.
Be sure to watch for the official Reunion 2013 registration brochure which will be mailed to you in April.
The Class of 1973 Reunion Committee
Bill Jinks (President)
Shelley Fletcher Schlegel
Donna Icken Shaw
Laurel Ford Smith
Beth Vitalini Jones
Linda Cruse Moffat
“We’re moving, going to reach the top,
Our spirit, it will never stop,
Just watch us, and you’ll clearly see,
Make way, here comes the Class of “73!” (Our Class Song, created at Pre-College Camp, August, 1969)
Dear ’73 Classmates,
February 28, 2013
Some of your classmates recently got together on campus and had a blast preparing the enclosed video inviting you and all members of the Class of 1973 to this summer’s 40th Reunion on June 6-9. We hope you enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it for you. The bottom line is we want very much to see you this summer! You can attend all four days or just one---your choice.
Donna Icken Shaw wants everyone to know that the golf tournament’s new location this year will be at Crestview Country Club in Agawam. Crestview is a premier course with some of the best greens in Western Mass. Get your clubs ready and bring your best swing!
The “Who Knows Band” has been booked for entertainment after Saturday night’s dinner in Cheney Hall. Bill Jinks, Class President, had huge accolades for this band’s ability to “rock the night away”! The Class of 1978 will be joining us on the dance floor for this fun evening!
Thank you to those of you who have sent in your Class of 1973 dues for $19.73. If you have yet to do so, kindly make your check payable to Springfield College (Class of ’73 dues noted) and send it to the Office of Alumni Relations, Springfield College – 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109.
Not only is March Madness synonymous with college basketball, it also commences Springfield College’s March Challenge---a fundraising drive to collect the most cash ever in the history of our alma mater in the month of March. Last year’s $223,202 was the most ever raised and we hope to “slam dunk” that number this year. Be on the lookout for information throughout the month of March and support your College!
The Marriott in downtown Springfield has a block of rooms available at a rate of $119 per night. Call 413-781-7111 prior to May 3 to make your reservations. Be sure to mention the Springfield College Reunion room block. Rooms will also be available in International Hall and may be reserved via the Reunion 2013 registration brochure which will be mailed in April.
That’s it for now. Your Reunion Committee meets again on March 20th and a Phoneathon is scheduled for April 10th.
Please return your pre-response form or contact the Alumni Relations Office at email@example.com to let us know you are planning to attend the Reunion! (Please note this is not your formal registration but a way to assist us in planning the event.) Enjoy watching the video!
Denise Alleyne, Bob Clark, Ken Hashagen, Bill Jinks, Beth Vitalini Jones, Dave Jones, Stephanie Kish, Hilary Lawrence, Jeanie Marsh, Linda Cruse Moffat, Lee Robator, Shelley Fletcher Schlegel, Donna Icken Shaw, Laurel Ford Smith, Russ Smith, and Dick Stoddard
January 22, 2013
It’s only a few months until our 40th reunion and we are well into the planning for an exciting June 6-9, 2013, weekend. We are looking forward to seeing each and every one of you to rekindle our friendships while we reminisce about the days of yore. We hope that you will be able to attend at least some, if not all, of the weekend’s events.
If you haven’t seen the campus recently, you will think you have entered a whole new world. The facilities here for today’s students are phenomenal. You will be amazed. However, we guarantee you won’t get lost.
For entertaining memories, go to our 1973 class pages under the alumni section of www.springfieldcollege.edu . Pictures span the ages. Some of them may be a bit incriminating or may even be used for propaganda purposes.
As part of our reunion events, we are including a silent auction. For anyone who would like to donate items for the auction, please contact Bruce Miller at Bam24up@cox.net. Donated items must be received prior to May 15, 2013, and have a value of at least $50.00. Please include the fair market value of each item and the minimum bid.
The College has secured the Crestview Country Club in Agawam for the Friday Alumni Golf Tournament. It is a premier course with wonderful amenities. There are always amusing stories from this event. Don’t worry; golfers of all abilities are more than welcome to participate!
We would like to encourage you to support the Springfield College Fund. We had a banner year last year and would like to surpass it in this, our 40th reunion year. Please join us in contributing what you can to our alma mater. You can give online here, or send a check to the Springfield College Office of Development.
Also, please take a moment to send in your class dues of $19.73, to replenish our class treasury. This will help cover reunion costs and purchase some fantastic, memorable souvenirs for us. Make your check payable to Springfield College, with “73 Class Dues” in the memo line, and forward it to:
Office of Alumni Relations
263 Alden Street
Springfield, MA 01109
Housing choices for the weekend:
- International Hall for all those who will be up late telling especially tall tales.
- Marriott in downtown Springfield has a group rate of $119 per night. Call (413)781-7111 before May 3, 2013. Be sure to mention the Springfield College Reunion room block when making make your reservation.
Watch your mailbox for an upcoming video brought to you by your fellow AARP-enrolled classmates, so you can get a preview of what’s in store for reunion weekend.
Be there or be square!
The Class of 1973 Reunion Committee
Dear '73 Classmates:
Our 40th reunion will be held on June 6-9, 2013!
- If you can't make the entire weekend, simply come to part of it---whatever your schedule permits.
- You'll be amazed and very pleased when you see all the physical changes that have transformed our alma mater and made campus even more beautiful and functional than it was when we attended SC.
- You will be getting mailings, emails and information for all that is to come next. We are reserving a block of rooms at the Marriot in downtown Springfield at a group rate of $119/night. Call (413) 781 7111no later than May 3, 2013, to make your reservation. Be sure to mention the Springfield College Alumni Reunion Class of 1973 when making your reservation.
- If you'd rather stay on campus, rooms in International Hall will be made available. Reservations for International Hall should be made through the alumni reunion registration brochure, which will be mailed in late April.
- Participation in the Springfield College Fund (formerly the Annual Fund) is always highlighted during reunion years. It would be wonderful to surpass our best effort to date---$71,842 in 2011! The majority of the funds collected go toward financial aid for current students attending Springfield College and 85 percent of students currently receive this important aid. Our 10-year average participation rate for giving to the Springfield College Fund is 31 percent. Let's make a goal of improving upon that participation rate this year.
- If you want to bring back memories like Julius Erving playing at the old Field House, being barrel hugged by Coach Silvia in the natatorium in P141, or learning about bilabial fricatives in Professor Ragonnet's English class, you have to pre-register using the attached form.
- If you ever had a class in Judd or East Gym you won't believe your eyes at what's been done---you can breathe in Judd Gym.
- The golfing is being arranged by our classmate Donna Shaw; campus tours, Casino Royale, beer and wine tastings, our class dinner Saturday night in Cheney Hall (with a live band to follow) and the Celebration of Loyalty (our class photo, the parade of classes, and our Springfield College Fund check presentation) and numerous other reunion activities are all just around the corner!
- Class Dues - $19.73 - Class dues are also being collected to build up the Class of 1973 treasury to help purchase reunion souvenirs and fund other reunion costs. Please note this is above and beyond your Springfield College Fund gift and is not tax deductible. Please make your dues check payable to Springfield College, note "'73 Class Dues" on the check and forward it to the Office of Alumni Relations, Springfield College, 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109-3797
- A Class of 1973 website will be going live in the near future. Keep a lookout for it. Your '73 reunion committee will meet again in January 2013 to make additional plans to make your 40th Springfield College reunion unforgettable. We hope to see you on June 6-9, 2013, on the Springfield College campus!
|Denise Alleyne||David Jones||Shelley Fletcher Schlegel|
|Robert Clark||Hilary Lawrence||Donna Icken Shaw|
|Ken Hashagan||Jeanie Marsh||Laurel Ford Smith|
|Bill Jinks (President)||Linda Cruise Moffat||Russ Smith (Reunion Chair)|
|Beth Vitalini Jones||Lee Robator||Dick Stoddard|
"We're moving, going to reach the top,
Our spirit, it will never stop,
Just watch us, and you'll clearly see,
Make way, here comes the Class of '73!" (Our Class Song, created at Pre-College Camp, August 1969)
Below is a list of Alumni who have indicated that they WILL be attending Reunion in June:
|Arnold T. Bell|
|Kathy McPhee Drake|
|Michael Drake '71|
|Catherine Grant Engelhardtfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|John L. Farrell||FarrellJohnL@yahoo.com|
|Beth Vitalini Jonesemail@example.com|
|David M. Jones|
|Sue Ann Maloy|
|Linda Cruse Moffat|
|Pam Viti Moffo|
|Claire Taylor Nuttall|
|Donna Greene Olson|
|Carol Capitani Orsatti|
|Shelly Fletcher Schlegel|
|Donna Icken Shaw|
|Susan Niebergall Shaylor|
|Laurel Ford Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Roxanne Mailman Wheeleremail@example.com|
Below is a list of Alumni who have indicated they MIGHT be attending reunion in June:
|Michelle Smith Demkowicz|
|Rev. Robert "Bob" Hopkins|
|Karen Smith Kear|
|Marilyn Fellows Kellogg|
|Chris Webster Kochem|
|Heather Caraker Lufkin|
|Vincent J. Marturanofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Theodore V. Raczkaemail@example.com|
|Marsha Apkarian Satti|
|Lora Fischer Stakeyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Garry St Jean|
|Christina Lewis White|