Class of 1963
The Springfield Chroniclesby: Matt Sanzone '63
"Trying to distill the essence of the experiences we forged through during the four years we toiled at Springfield is a difficult task. Each venue presents of different prism and as the years pass the reflection is somewhat fractured whether by exaggeration or denial." Click here to read more.
Our 50th is getting closer. The Planning Committee is excited that everything seems to be falling in place for our gathering back on campus.
Here are some highlights and updates since Matt’s and my October letter:
- 63 YES (with spouses/others), a total of 86….WONDERFUL!!
- 17 Maybe
- How about contacting one or two of these classmates, letting them know you’d like to re-connect @ our 50th? Nancy Hoyt Dallas has email/phone info for the following people. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos & Memory Book – Deadline April 15
Nancy is still looking forward to receiving photos from your college years (she has enough from our reunions) for a power point @ the banquet. She would appreciate them electronically email@example.com but is willing to scan them, too. Her address:
2125 Conestoga Road
Virginia City Highlands, NV 89521
She is also waiting for your addition to our Memory Book. The form is enclosed or you can download it from our class page. Return either electronically firstname.lastname@example.org or snail mail to the above address.
Many thanks to those who already sent their memories (as of March 20):
- ALLEN, CHRISTIE SENECAL
- ANDERSON, GEORGE
- ARATA, CAP
- ARMSTRONG, JAKE
- BLACK, KEN
- DILENA, DAN
- EK, BRAD
- FLANAGAN, JAMES
- FRAZIER, BILL
- FREDRICKSON, DAVE
- GILBERT, RAY
- GRIFFITH, BILL ‘WHIT’
- HANLON, JOE
- HESS, BOB
- SHAUMBERGER, BONNIE HOEPER
- KAHN, JOE
- KATTLER, LYNNE WARMEN
- KEMP, BERYL
- KISS, ILONA LIND
- LIPPERT, JOANNE
- LIPPITT, LARRY
- MANGELS, GEORGE
- MCCOMBE, GEORGE
- NIMCHEK, MARY PLANT
- PHELPS, TUFFY
- RAYMOND, SKIP
- REARDON, JOHN
- REGINA, TERRY
- RICCITELLO, JOHN
- SANZONE, MATT
- SHATTUCK, RENE
- STONE, RICHARD
- SYLVESTER, TEDDY
- TRAVERS, DICK
- WATSON, JUDY INGRAM
- WINN, CAL
We hope that you have all received our March letter describing the progress at the half-way mark in our campaign to raise money and increase class participation in fund raising. While slow and steady progress has brought us close to achieving our goals, now is the time to sprint forward and cross the finish line successfully. This has become a true team effort and we strongly encourage your participation. Thanks to all who have gotten us this far and a plea to those of you who have chosen to remain on the sidelines. Join the 100 classmates who have given. Make a pledge or write a check before we gather together for our 50th. Hope to see you all in June!
Ilona Kiss Lind has graciously volunteered to Chair our Silent Auction. It runs all day Saturday and our treasury will be credited for the sale of donated Items. They must be worth a starting bid of $50.00. Ideas: If you have a vacation home, donate a weekend there or ski passes or a basket of fine wines or $100 gift card to LL Bean…be creative. Please let Ilona know what you’d like to donate: email@example.com . Deadline May 1.
Our class treasury will be purchasing 75 complimentary maroon golf shirts which we will wear for the class photo (with khaki shorts or slacks) and the Parade of Classes. Please let us know your size on the enclosed reservation form. Please return the form to the Office of Alumni Relations in the enclosed business reply envelope. Don’t be left out. Let us know your size NOW.
Hilton Garden Inn Room Block
If you haven’t made your reservations yet, please do so: 413-886-8000. http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/S/SFYMAGI-SPRI63-20130606/index.jhtml Only 8 rooms left Friday and Saturday night with our special reunion rate of $119 per night. For your GPS: 800 Hall of Fame Avenue, Springfield
Tentative Schedule of Events
THURSDAY 6/6 – If planning to arrive then, supper @ the Student Prince (Alumni Office will provide a shuttle van from the Hilton). Gather afterwards @ the Hilton’s patio and/or @ the adjacent Pub
Registration @ the Student Union
Golf Tournament @ Crestview in Agawam, a former LPGA course or a Zumba Class in the Wellness Center or join a Campus Tour. Supper in Cheney Hall & the “Casino Royale Gala.” Gather afterwards in a hospitality room @ the Hilton
Registration @ the Student Union.
Golden Triangle (that would be us!) Breakfast hosted by President and Mrs. Flynn @ their home. Class photo and Parade of Classes (in our maroon shirts). Shuttle to Freshmen Camp
Lunch – burgers/dogs/salads/beer.
Afternoon @ Freshman Camp with scavenger hunt, other fun activities or
just visiting and catching up
Leave Freshmen Camp approx. 3:30
Memorial Service to honor those classmates no longer with us 6:00
Pre-banquet Reception 6:30 -7:15 and Banquet 7:15
Farewell Brunch @ Cheney Hall
Afternoon @ John & Adele Chester’s
“Lost” Classmates/Wrong E-mails – Your Help Is Needed
firstname.lastname@example.org Cora Lee Kirby Cain
email@example.com James Blamphin
firstname.lastname@example.org Steve Lord
email@example.com Judy Mills Jurgenson
In the coming months, our class and all the other reunion classes will receive information from the Alumni Office, but this may be Matt’s and my last letter. Please contact us if you have suggestions, questions, or just want to chat: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com .
Matt & Judy
Below is a video filmed in August with Terry Regina, Chris Allen Senecal, Lynn Warman, Dave Leete, George Anderson, Matt and me. We had a blast doing it. We hope you enjoy it and that it'll inspire you to return to celebrate our 50 th and see all the terrific changes on campus.
Class of 1963 Reunion Video
- Thank You: Matt and I extend our appreciation to Nancy Hoyt Dallas for undertaking the Memorial Book & power point, Gerry Schmidt Bilik and her committee for reunion giving/class gift, Lynn Warman & Bonnie Brown Brophy for planning the memorial to classmates no longer with us and our focus group of about a dozen classmates for their input.
- Reunion Giving/Class Gift Committee: Besides Gerry, the committee also includes Bob Hess, Jack Hyde, Beryl Kemp & Terry Regina. Gerry will be asking three more people to join them and is hoping to raise $50,000. Beginning Oct. 13, phone calls will be made to members of the Class of '63. Under consideration for our class gift is a monetary award to a graduating senior on Stepping Up Day and adding to the needed renovations at Freshman Camp. Details to follow.
- Hotel Reservations: The Alumni Office has reserved a block of 30 rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn at $119 per night. Many stayed there at our 45th. We strongly suggest you make your reservations now. If those 30 rooms are booked, the Alumni Office will try to reserve another block. To make your reservations online, click here. In order to receive the special rate, reservations must be made no later than May 2. For your GPS, the Inn's address: 800 Hall of Fame Avenue, Springfield.
- Tentative Reunion Plans:
- THURSDAY 6/6 – For those who are planning to arrive then
Supper @ the Student Prince (the Office of Alumni Relations will provide a shuttle van)
Gather afterwards at the Inn's patio and/or at the Pub adjacent to the Inn
- FRIDAY 6/7
Registration at the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union
Supper at Cheney Hall
Casino Royale Gala
Gather afterwards in a hospitality room at the hotel
- SATURDAY 6/8
Registration at the Flynn Campus Union
Golden Triangle Breakfast hosted by President and Mrs. Flynn at their home
"Celebration of Loyalty" – Class photo and Parade of Classes
Calypso Caper – Lunch at Cheney Hall with steel drum band
Memorial Service honoring '63 classmates no longer with us
Afternoon at Freshman Camp with Scavenger Hunt, other fun activities or simply visiting and catching up
Silent Auction runs throughout the day. Items may be donated by members of our class and our treasury is credited for sales
Saturday Banquet in the Dodge Room on the 2nd floor of the new Richard B. Flynn Campus Union
Gather afterwards in a hospitality room at the hotel
- SUNDAY 6/9
Farewell Brunch at Cheney Hall
Afternoon at John & Adele Chester's
- THURSDAY 6/6 – For those who are planning to arrive then
- "Survey Says":
A couple of surveys were sent to our focus group and here are the results:
- Definitely stay on campus for Friday supper and Saturday banquet
- Mixed reviews about going to the Student Prince Thursday evening, but, with the college supplying a shuttle van, Matt and I felt we should do it
- Printed golf shirt with "50th Reunion" or "Class of '63" imprinted is top contender for our reunion souvenir. Class treasury has $1,177
- Dressing alike for the parade and class photo – white golf shirt and khaki pants/skirt
- Other reunion souvenirs mixed reviews – nothing specific decided
- Definitely stay at the Hilton Garden Inn
- OK with accepting John & Adele Chester's invitation of Sunday afternoon at their home
- Your Suggestions:
We appreciate your suggestions/comments on this tentative schedule of activities and survey results, especially how you feel about Saturday afternoon at Freshman Camp or staying on campus taking advantage of activities there.
- Your Springfield Photos:
Nancy Hoyt Dallas would appreciate photos sent electronically firstname.lastname@example.org. She is working on a power point to be shown during the banquet; send them to her so they can be enjoyed by everyone.
- Pre-response Form
Click here to download the Pre-response Form.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Matt email@example.com and Judy firstname.lastname@example.org Dear Classmates,
Matt and I are getting more and more excited about our 50th Reunion. It’s only 14 months away but, if time flies by as quickly for you as it has for us, June 2013 will be here before we can finish singing “Show Me The Scotchman!”
- Reunion Information: This letter (as with all reunion letters) is being mailed to the entire class to assure reunion information is received and also to alert us and the office of Alumni Relations if we don’t have your current mailing address.
- Pre-response Form: Completed and returned the Class of 1963 pre-response form.
- Keeping in Touch: We’ll be keeping in touch more frequently as June 2013 approaches. Please make sure we have your correct email address and, if you do not use email, your home address will be used.
- ’63 Data: Matt and I are very appreciative of Nancy Hoyt Dallas volunteering to keep contact information current. She has been able to send emails regarding the recent passing of four classmates. If you did not receive these emails, send your correct email address to email@example.com and to Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that she is able to send immediate notices/obituaries via email only.
- Memory Book: Additionally, Nancy volunteered to pull together our memory book. Her job will be much easier if you returned the electronic form to her at email@example.com. If you do not use email, please mail the form to her:
2125 Conestoga Rd.
V. C. Highlands, NV 89521
- Your Photos: You’re invited to add photos to your information for the memory book or send them for possible posting on our class page. However, photos must be sent electronically to Nancy. Hard copies cannot be returned but they will be kept in the College archives.
- Office of Alumni Relations: Nancy, Matt, and I had a conference call last month with the Office of Alumni Relations. They provided many helpful hints and are ready, willing, and able to assist our class.
- Lost Classmates: We need your help in locating the following lost classmates. If you know of their whereabouts, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or Nancy email@example.com or call the Office of Alumni Relations at (413) 748-3161 or Nancy at (775) 847-0129.
Ackerman, Kathryn (Cowden) Goodman, Hannah Muggelstone, Frank Bushey, Dr. Richard Johnson, Thomas Sander, Stephen Carlson, Paul Kelley, Patricia Singh, Dr. Hohan Decker, Judith Morell, Roger Wright, Nancy
- Class Gift: Gerry Schmidt Bilik has volunteered to chair the Class Gift Committee. We have asked the College for suggestions for a class gift, and will be discussing our options as a committee. If you are interested in volunteering to serve on the class Gift Committee by contacting classmates, please contact Gerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or Bonnie Cox, G ’88 leadership giving officer, at email@example.com or by phone at (413) 748-3124.
- Your Help is Needed: Matt and I are looking for people to chair or help with these committees (This is just an initial list. If you think of others, please let us know):
- Memory Book – Nancy Hoyt Dallas
- Class Gift – Geri Schmidt Bilik
- Entertainment/Trivia/Games i.e., match yearbook photos with current photos
- Dinner Speaker
- Prior to Saturday dinner, a tribute to those no longer with us
- Selecting a reunion memento – hat/shirt/vest/sash?
- After-dinner gatherings back at the hotel
- Sunday event for those wishing to stay another night (after all, we are retired!)
- Video Tour of Campus: At some point this summer, Matt and I will be coming to campus to create a video tour for the Class of ’63 Web page. When the date is established, we will get the date out to the class so anyone who is available may join us.
|Gerry Schmidt Bilik|
|Mary Belfanti Blazek|
|Bonnie Brown Brophyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Donald J. Chaffeeemail@example.com|
|Nancy Hoyt Dallasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Daniel H. DiLenaemail@example.com|
|Arthur William Downes|
|Bradford V. Ekfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Joyce Langford Fortson|
|William "Billy" J. Frazer, Jr.||email@example.com|
|Edward V. Geschelin||EGeschelin1@gmail.com|
|W. Whitney Griffith|
|Ronald B. Housefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Judy Watson Ingramemail@example.com|
|Judith Mills Jurgensen|
|Joanne Taylor Lippert|
|Dr. Larry Lippitt|
|Frank A. Loiaconofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Betty Hubbard Gonzales Perkins|
|Bette Thorpe Phelps|
|Norton "Tuffy" Phelps Jr.|
|Mary Nimchek Plant|
|Sue Baker Ruggeri|
|Christa Allen Senecalemail@example.com|
|Rennie Paul Shattuckfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Judith (Allison Schorer) Sheridanemail@example.com|
|Richard R. Stone||BStone88@verizon.net|
|A. Harry Thomasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Richard "Dickie" Traversemail@example.com|
|Everett C. Venturini|
|Lynn Kattler Warman||Cal@cpwinn.com / CalWinn7@gmail.com|
|Susan Frangiamore Zeranskifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carl F. Zopatti|
Below is a list of Alumni who have indicated they MIGHT be attending reunion in June:
|Ronald "Bogie" Bogueemail@example.com|
|Judith Decker Crosier|
|Richard B. Carterfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|John C. Jenkins|
|Marcia Y. Panzo|
|Gail Boyle Patch|
|David A. Roberts|
|Theodora A. Sylvesteremail@example.com|
|Barbara "Bopp" Teutelfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Denise Walsh Wolinskiemail@example.com|