Class of 1958
Welcome to the Class of 1958 web page!
Whether you've been away for years, or you just left Alden Street, don't miss this chance to reconnect with friends and share your Springfield College memories. Details from your class reunion leaders and the office of alumni relations will follow throughout the year.
Click here to view the Save the Date Postcard.
In the January and February letters, the Reunion Committee outlined and described in some detail items you might consider such as housing, gift giving, Internet use, class dues, etc. This will be the final letter from your Reunion Committee. Below you will find a brief To Do List to get ready for the official reunion mailing from the College, which you will receive later this month. This will include an exciting brochure listing all events and registration information.
To Do List for Your 55th Reunion and Other Considerations
- Reserve a room at the Holiday Inn/Enfield. Don't delay. We only have 25 rooms reserved and the deadline for holding rooms for our class is May 6 at the $99 rate, plus tax. You may make your reservations by calling 860-741-2211. Ask for the Springfield College block of rooms, Class of '58. You can make these reservations online as well at www.holidayinnspringfield.com. You will need the Group Code which is S58.
- Call, email, or write to a roommate or good college friend that perhaps you were on a team, club or committee with and tell them how great it would be to see them again at the 55th reunion.
- Kindly send your class dues of $19.58 to Alumni Relations, Springfield College, 263 Alden St., Springfield, MA 01109-3797 (check payable to Springfield College).
- If you already made your gift to the Springfield College fund for this year (since July 1, 2012), thank you! If you haven't yet, please do what you can. Recall the Class of '58 giving participation rate of 60 percent usually tops all classes making gifts. Donations of all amounts count and help keep our class strong. (As of mid-March, 28 percent of the class has given to the fund.) If you have questions or want to check to see whether you have given for this year or not, call the Office of Development at 800-622-6072.
- For those of you on the Internet, it's fun to snoop around on all the other classes to see what they are doing for the June reunion.
- At the 50th reunion, we had a very successful and fun raffle of various donated items. The funds were used to re-charge the class treasury. Jack Lowe has once again donated a week's stay at his and wife Jean's Yoga Retreat in Puerto Morales, Mexico, a small village just outside of Cancun, and Dave Peat has donated a round of golf at the Bermuda Dunes CC in the CA desert. Classmates with items, large or small, for the raffle kindly let us know.
- The banquet is shaping up to be a fun-filled event. It will be held at the Holiday Inn, our host hotel. The Reunion Committee and a focus group of your classmates have selected the "Designer Dinner Buffet" as the meal. This will include two appetizers, three entrees, and three desserts plus other accompaniments. The cost of the buffet will be $40 per person. Designated emcee Dick Aronson is cooking up some funny stuff for the post-dinner program. Please return the enclosed dinner registration form with payment no later than May 21. (Note: Registration for all other Reunion 2013 events will take place through the formal Reunion 2013 registration brochure, which will be mailed to you later this month.)
- The schedule for the Hospitality Room will be published in the Registration Guidebook, which you will pick up at "check in" when you arrive on campus. The door will be locked at all times when not hosted by a member of the Reunion Committee or a volunteer. So, if you have any memorabilia of your four years at Springfield, feel free to bring it along. See the Reunion Guidebook about the open hours during the reunion weekend. We have a timeline of yearbook pictures and other items of a historical nature on PowerPoint.
- For those arriving on Thursday, June 6, "check in" at the College is from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union. We suggest the early birds meet in the Pub/Bar at the Holiday Inn at 6:30 p.m. for dinner/snack. The Hospitality Room will be open from 7-10 p.m.
Those who have returned forms and who WILL (N=28) or MAYBE (N=18) attend are listed below.
Lois (Baillie) Bortle
Janet (Mann) Breckenridge
Marilyn (Miller) Butcavage
Diane Chapman Durgin
Anne-Marie (Ryan) Collamore
George & Carol (Butler) Hamilton
Lynn (Bolton) Lake
Dick & Patricia (Harlow) MacDonald
Debbie (Totten) Perrott
Lois (Williams) Pilatowski
Les "Porky" Plumb
Madeline (Razza) Slicer
Class President Fritz Wiedergott welcomes everyone with open arms "Home" to Springfield on June 6-9, 2013
This picture was taken in the Springfield College Museum (a must see) in the newly renovated Judd Gym. In 1954, he would have been standing in about eight feet of water in the McCurdy Natatorium. Do you remember those swimming classes? Noteworthy is the freshman beanie he is wearing.
The 55th reunion committee: Fritz Wiedergott, Class President, Lee Cunningham, Reunion Chair, Maddy Razza Slicer, Charlie Perry, Carol & George Hamilton, Maggie Cox Land, the Springfield College Fund and Dave Peat, the Springfield College Fund. The Class of '58 contact person for the Reunion Events other than those that are College related is Lee Cunningham. He can be reached at 978-939-5944, email@example.com, or 29 Wellington Rd., Templeton, MA 01468. The committee is very receptive of any ideas you might have.
Check out pictures of selected committees from the yearbooks (1955-1958). Persons are identified and names bolded and italicized are in the class of 1958. Have you ever wondered what these folks look like now? You will be able to do that at the reunion in June 2013.
Reunion Days: Many activities have been planned to fill your days from Thursday evening June 6th until noon on Sunday, June 9. More details will be provided in the March letter about both the College and class plans. A big hit at our 50th reunion was the hospitality room, and one has been reserved for the weekend at our host hotel. You should receive the Reunion packet for registration from the Office of Alumni Relations sometime in April.
Hotel Reservations: The host hotel for the Class of '58 will be the Holiday Inn/Enfield. A major renovation was completed in 2010. It's a nice, clean, and updated facility. The College has reserved a block of rooms for our class at $99 per night, plus tax. It's about a 15 minute drive from the College. You can make your reservations by calling 860-741-2211. Ask for the Springfield College Reunion block of rooms. The web address for the hotel is www.holidayinnspringfield.com. While online, check out the hotel rooms, restaurant/bar, and amenities, such as the pool, tennis court (bring your tennis racquet. Bob Kelly is looking for three others for some doubles play), basketball court, and fitness facility. For those wishing for accommodations a bit closer to the College, the Marriott Hotel in downtown Springfield has a block of rooms reserved $119 per night, plus tax. The phone number for the Marriott is 413-781-7111.
Springfield College Fund: To date, 28 percent of our class has made a gift or pledge for this fiscal year (July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013). The total at this time is $18,748. Our class has consistently had the highest participation rate of all classes and according to the most recent Triangle (Vol. 84, 1), we did it again. We led all classes with a participation rate of 64 percent for the past year. Much of the credit for such a fine showing goes to the work of Maggie Cox Land and Dave Peat. Please do not forget to make a gift of whatever you can do, whether it's $20 or $2,000. Each gift and each person counts and it adds up to make a big difference. Also, when you make your gift or pay your pledge to the Springfield College Fund in the month of March, you will help the March Challenge. When you return to campus in June you will be very surprised and pleased when you tour the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union (registration will take place here), the Wellness and Recreation Complex, and the newly renovated old Judd Gym. These facilities were built/renovated since our last reunion five years ago, in 2008.
Information for Internet users: It's fun to check out all the other classes to see what they are doing for the June Reunion. Lee Cunningham has already started a Facebook page and is still looking for some "friends." Many pictures from the yearbook have been added to the timeline plus a few historical notes. When on Facebook, type Springfield College Class of '58. Watch for "email blasts" every 4-6 weeks.
Newsletter Addendum: Version 1 of the 2013 reunion year newsletter was mailed with the January letter. Those of you with internet access who were unable to respond to our earlier email request still have a chance to let your classmates know what you have been doing.
Do Your Recall 1955-1957: The football team went 18-4-1 across the 3-years your classmates were eligible for varsity play. The soccer team went 25-2-2 during that same period, and was voted co-champs of the United States with CCNY in the fall of 1957. Do you know how many games the field hockey and women's soccer teams won that fall? If you can't remember and can't find it in the yearbook, it's perfectly fine because intercollegiate athletics for women at Springfield did not start until 1962.
Class Dues: Class dues of $19.58 are being collected to build up the class Treasury. During the reunion some costs are incurred such as souvenirs, banquet guests, hospitality room clean-up fees, etc. that go above and beyond the College's charges for the reunion. Please note the dues are above and beyond your Springfield College Fund gift and are not deductible. Please make your dues check payable to Springfield College and note, "Class Dues" on the check. Forward to Alumni Relations, Springfield College, 263 Alden St., Springfield, MA 01109-3797.
Be sure to return your pre-response form. If you have not done so already, kindly complete the pre-response form. You can check out the list of those who have responded so far below.
At this time, those who have returned forms and who WILL or MIGHT attend are: Dick Aronson, Gus Bosio, Marilyn Butcavage, Anne-Marie (Ryan) Collamore Lee Cunningham, James Curran Mark Federman, Joe Ford, John Hagberg, Bob Kelly, Vic Lewin, Dick and Patricia MacDonald, Bruce Mason, Bob Nye, Debbie Totten Perrott, Lois Williams Pilatowski, Les "Porky" Plumb, Madeline Razza Slicer, Derwood Stetson, Thomas Stidham, Jack White, and Fritz Wiedergott. Gus Bosio and Mark Federman are two reunion newcomers who have never attended a Reunion, and classified themselves as WILL attend. So it's never too late to return to see the college and your former classmates at a Reunion.
The 55th reunion committee: Fritz Wiedergott, Class President, Lee Cunningham, Reunion Chair, Maddy Razza Slicer, Charlie Perry, Carol & George Hamilton, Maggie Cox Land, the Springfield College Fund and Dave Peat, the Springfield College Fund.
Welcome to the New Year. We have an event for you in 2013. Most of you have received the Holiday postcard sent by the Alumni Office with information including the Reunion dates that are June 6-9, 2013. Mark your calendar now. The postcard also showed the Class Picture from the 50th Reunion. Did you recognize anyone? Many activities have been planned to fill your days from Thursday evening until about noon on Sunday. A big hit at our 50th reunion was the hospitality room and one has been reserved for the weekend at our host hotel. If you cannot come for the entire weekend, please consider at least coming to part of it.
The host hotel for the Class of '58 will be the Holiday Inn/Enfield. The college has reserved a block of rooms for our class at $99 per night plus tax. It's about a 15 minute drive from the College. There is plenty of free parking at the Inn and a lot of outdoor space. To make your reservations at the Holiday Inn, call 860-741-2211 prior to May 16 and be sure to mention the "Springfield College Reunion" block. For those wishing accommodations a bit closer to the college, the Marriott Hotel in downtown Springfield has a block of rooms saved by the college at $119 per night, plus tax. Call 413-781-7111 by May 9 to make your reservation at the Marriott. Please mention the Springfield College Reunion room block. (A major credit card is required at both hotels to hold your reservation).
Springfield College Fund: Last year the Class of '58 gave a total of $30,257 and had 64 percent of the class make a contribution. This is the highest class participation rate from last year, of all classes – the next closest being the classes of '56 and '57 who both had 58 percent participation. We want everyone to give what they are able, knowing that individual participation is important and really adds up to make a difference. Goals in a reunion year are to encourage participation and encourage stretch giving if possible. Giving is relative - $1,000 to some may be $25 to someone else. Please consider what you can give and know that it is greatly appreciated.
The class will have three useful Internet means of communication. A web page for the Class of '58 will be set up and maintained by the College. Lee Cunningham has already started a Facebook page and is looking for some "Friends." When on Facebook, type Springfield College Class of '58. Finally, we will be sending out email "blasts" every 4-6 weeks. If we have not yet tracked you down and you have not received any emails from us kindly let us know your email address. Again, Lee will maintain an updated list and he can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2013 reunion year newsletter is included in this mailing. We apologize that only those with Internet access have their stories included. We will edit an addendum for the March letter. Kindly send your notes via regular mail to Lee Cunningham, P.O. Box 101, Templeton, MA 01468. We should note that we gave Maggie the year off from editing the newsletter. What a great job she has done in keeping our class together over the years with her communication efforts. She will be back by the way.
Any classmate spending the winter at another address should notify Alumni Relations at 413-748-3161 or email email@example.com as reunion mail may not be forwarded.
Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year.
The 55th reunion committee: Fritz Wiedergott, Class President, Lee Cunningham, Reunion Chair, Maddy Slicer, Charlie Perry, Carol & George Hamilton, Maggie Cox Land, the Springfield College Fund and Dave Peat, the Springfield College Fund.
|Janet Mann Breckenridge|
|Beverly DeNadai DeSantis|
|Carol Butler Hamilton|
|Sandra Burrows Mason '62|
|David A. Peat|
|Debbie Totten Perrott|
|Charles E. Perry|
|Lois Williams Pilatowski|
|Madeline Razza Slicer|
|Derwood Lynn Stetson M.D.|
|John W. White Jr.||BwhiteJwhite@yahoo.com|
|William "Fritz" Wiedergott||Fritzsyl@aol.com|
|Malcolm E. Williamson D.O.|
Below is a list of Alumni who have indicated they MIGHT be attending reunion in June:
|Lois Baillie Bortle|
|Charles W. Brandt|
|F. Lewis Brown|
|Anne Marie (Ryan) Collamore|
|James R. Curranfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Diane Chapman Durgin|
|Robert (Wick) Haselton|
|Robert A. Kelly|
|Maggie Cox Land|
|Les "Porky" Plumb|
|Jonathan G. Ventres|
|F. James White|
|John A. Wilson|
Please note:Alumni volunteers whose contact information is listed have given consent to Springfield College to do so with regards to their respective roles of supporting Springfield College. The information has been established specifically for Springfield College communications. It is not a conduit for solicitation of a commercial, financial, or political nature. It is not to be used to raise funds for other charities.