International Student Employment
Employment in F1 Status:
- Students in F1 Status may only obtain on-campus work. Students may work on campus for no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during school breaks.
- Students must have a social security number in order to work.
- First you must show proof that you have employment. The Financial Aid Office has a list of job opportunities on campus. You may also inquire in the Computer Center, the Mailroom, the Library, and with Facilities and Campus Services.
- The International Center will give you a letter to take to the Social Security Office.
- Take the letter from the International Center, hiring form, your passport, original I-20, visa and I-94 to the Social Security Office at 1550 Main Street, Springfield. You will fill out an application at the SS office. You may download the form at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
- To start work at Springfield College, you will need an “Authorization to Hire" form that is available in the Financial Aid Office, or from the supervisor where you plan to work.
- You will be required to record your work hours on a form provided by your supervisor.
- Paychecks are issued every two weeks. They may be picked up at the Business Office window on Friday between 10:00a.m. and 2:00p.m.
College Language American Studies Program (CLASP)
- International Center Student Handbook(.pdf)
- Financial Guarantee: Undergraduate(.pdf)
- Financial Guarantee: Graduate(.pdf)
- SHS Financial Guarantee: Undergraduate(.pdf)
- SHS Financial Guarantee: Graduate(.pdf)
- J-1 Program General Information(.pdf)
- Application for DS-2019(.pdf)
- Exchange Visitor Financial Documentation(.pdf)
- Sponsoring Department/Faculty Agreement(.pdf)
Contact International Center