Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department
With an international reputation as a leader in the field of exercise science, Springfield College was one of the first institutions in the United States to develop the applied exercise science (AEXS) major in the late 1980s. The major emphasizes that physical activity is inextricably linked to good health, and focuses on a preventing health problems. The curriculum has a strong science base, including courses in exercise physiology, exercise prescription for normal and special populations, measurement, nutrition, and management. Students learn to prescribe exercise programs for a wide range of populations interested in physical fitness, and to develop, implement, and interpret fitness and health assessments and maintenance programs for individuals and groups.
One of the program’s strengths is the “hands-on” experience that students gain through fieldwork on the campus and in exercise and fitness facilities around the country. Students are strongly encouraged to choose one of the following specializations.
Choose a Specialization
Learn more about the three specializations here.
- Spa and wellness management specialization prepares students for entry-level careers in the spa and wellness center industry. It integrates coursework and field experiences in the exercise sciences, sport management, and business management. Learn more.
- The personal training specialization prepares students for careers as personal trainers in commercial, agency, and corporate fitness settings, or in their own personal training businesses. This program integrates coursework and field experiences in sport management, physical education, and business management. Learn more.
- The sport performance specialization prepares students for careers in improving the performance of athletes of all ages and ability levels, including youth, student athletes, professional athletes, and senior citizens. The program integrates courses in movement and sport studies, physical education, and coaching. Learn more.
Exercise Science and Sport Studies Timeline
Take it From Them
- Internship Sponsor: Judi LaBranche ‘92, G‘94, former executive director, Scantic Valley YMCA Read more quotes here.
Exercise Science Programs Earn National AccreditationThe Springfield College master’s degree program in clinical exercise physiology has become the first in Massachusetts to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), and the bachelor’s degree program in applied exercise science has become the second in the state to receive the honor. Read more.
The athletic training room provides student-athletes access to athletic health care at the highest level.
BOC Pass RateSpringfield College Athletic Training Program three-year aggregate first-time pass rate on the Board of Certification National Examination for athletic trainers: 92.59% (2011-2013)
- Overall pass rate for same period:
- Average number of students per class: